IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION:
INDICATIONS: The AVAR® (sodium sulfacetamide and sulfur) product family (AVAR® Cleanser, AVAR® LS Cleanser, AVAR-e® Emollient Cream, AVAR-e Green® Cream, AVAR-e® LS Emollient Cream, AVAR® Foam, AVAR® LS Foam) are prescription medicines used on the skin (topical) for the control of acne vulgaris, acne rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis. AVAR products contain sodium sulfacetamide, a sulfonamide antibiotic, which prevents bacteria from growing.
Important Safety Information
AVAR products are not for everyone. You should not use AVAR products if you:
- are allergic to any ingredient in AVAR products. Ask your doctor if you are not sure.
- have had a severe allergic reaction (e.g., severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, swelling) to sulfonamide medicines or sulfur.
- have kidney disease.
KEEP ALL AVAR PRODUCTS OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.
Before you use AVAR products, tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
- are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. It is not known whether AVAR products can cause harm to the fetus.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known whether the ingredients in AVAR products can pass into breast milk.
- have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances.
AVAR PRODUCTS ARE FOR EXTERNAL USE ONLY. AVOID CONTACT WITH THE EYES. AVAR products should be used as directed by your doctor. Do not use them for other conditions. AVAR products should not be used in children younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been determined.
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins and herbal supplements. You should tell your doctor if you are using silver-containing medicines, such as silver sulfadiazine.
AVAR products may cause serious side effects in some people, including:
- severe allergic reactions. You should discontinue any AVAR product if the condition becomes worse, or if a rash develops in the area being treated or elsewhere. Seek medical attention right away if you develop signs or symptoms of a severe allergic reaction (rash, hives, itching, difficulty breathing, tightness in the chest, swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
- systemic lupus erythematosus. In one of these cases there was a fatal outcome. Discontinue the AVAR product immediately and contact your doctor right away if you experience arthritis (pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints), or fever or sores in your mouth develop.
Possible side effects of AVAR products include mild skin irritation or dryness. These are not all of the possible side effects of AVAR products. Tell your doctor if you have any side effect that bothers you or does not go away.
You may report negative side effects to Mission Pharmacal Company at 1-800-298-1087, or to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.
Please see full Prescribing Information.
Mission Pharmacal Company is a privately held pharmaceutical company based in San Antonio, Texas. For seven decades, the company has been improving the lives of people through every stage of life by identifying unmet healthcare needs and delivering innovative, high-quality prescription, over-the-counter, and dietary supplement products to meet these needs using only the purest ingredients and state of the art methods of manufacturing.
THE AVAR® LINE OF PRODUCTS
The #1 Branded Sodium Sulfacetamide
Treatment on the Market†
The AVAR® line of products provides safe and effective treatment of seborrheic dermatitis (SD), acne vulgaris (AV), and acne rosacea (AR). AVAR® products contain sodium sulfacetamide, a sulfonamide antibiotic.
† Of sodium sulfacetamide + sulfur medications, according to Source Healthcare Analytics PHAST Prescription data, accessed March 2016.